More Than a
Century of Caring
Our doors officially opened on April 7, 1919 as the Masonic Home and Orphanage. At that time, our residents included the elderly, orphans, and children whose parents were unable to care for them, which was especially important during the drastic financial times of the Depression.
In 1920, our name changed to Masonic Home of Florida. While the number of adult residents stayed about the same over the years, the number of children decreased steadily, due in part to Social Security and other government support programs. By the late 1950s our focus turned exclusively to caring for elderly Masons and their wives or widows. A handful of our residents lived here both as children and later in their lives.
Our original building was used until 1988 when we demolished it to make room for our current building. In 2017, the Grand Lodge of Florida voted to welcome members of the general public. Since then we have been home to Masons and non-Masonic members.